Thursday, December 12, 2013

Another Corrector

Yay corrective color!! A massive challenge for all hair dressers. The scariest thing is that you have no idea what is under all that color. Most of the time the client is not telling the truth. 

Last week I had a really cute girl name Maria come in for a consultation. Maria was 30 minutes late which is a really bad first impression, and makes me nervous in general and can really throw I the schedule for the rest of the day. Luckily she was booked incorrectly, so I had plenty of time to meet with her. Maria came in with ombré hair. It was coppery on the ends and a burgundy color on the mid shaft and she had a natural brown root. 
The best thing that could have happened is that she came a week before I had to tackle this beast. I had 7 whole days to think about how I would go about giving her the "honey blonde" color that she was looking for alá Jennifer Anniston. I warned her it would not be even close to perfect the first time, but I assured her that I would do my best and that she will be happier than she was at the outset. 

Maria was on time today. Joy!! I sat her down and decided once and for all that I would definitely need to strip her hair. Which means I basically needed to bleach it. Getting red hair color out is one of the hardest things to do. So stripping I did. I used a board and 35 volume bleach starting in the back and working my way forward. I knew I didn't have to get her super blonde, just light enough for a level 8/sandy blonde base color. 

This is what she looked like once all the lightener was applied. 
This would be the product of bleaching red hair color out. Notice the pout. She was not too pleased. 

I then followed up with giving her a fairly heavy highlight, including end lights and I mixed in Redken color Fushion 8AB and 7AV for her base color at the root only. After I applied her base color I immediately put Shades EQ 8N, 9N, and 9GB on her ends, combed everything through and let her sit for another 20 minutes or so. 

It was pretty messy, but all good things are, right?

After getting her shampooed we gave her a quick 10 minute glaze with 9T, 9N, and clear. FOUR HOURS LATER (which for those of you that know me is an eternity) we had what must have been the closest thing to a perfect color correction in the history of Katie Brandon doing hair. 


Needless to say, I was extremely happy and so was Maria. She was a trooper and so was her brother that waited up front the entire time!  Thank you to our assistant/stylist in training, Portia, helping me out in the end! 

Now for a break!

1 comment: