Sunday, November 4, 2012

In the beginning...

When I was 16 years old, I decided once and for all that I was going to be a hair dresser.  I was the friend that everyone came to for them to color their hair, or do their makeup for the talent show and I loved every second of it. After high school I enjoyed my summer off and enrolled in beauty school the following September. Lets just say, Aspen Beauty Academy made no effort to claim to be the best school ever. In short, it was a shit hole.  The teachers knew absolutely nothing about modern styles or techniques. Luckily for me, I started working as an assistant at a hair salon my senior year of high school, so I was able to learn how do everything I needed to know in order to not get laughed out of a salon.

10 grueling months later I graduated! Did you know you are expected to learn anatomy in beauty school? The entire upper torso and limbs.  I know what the smallest bone in the wrist is, its insane. Anyways, After a couple months I got a job in a great salon, Salon Central. I spent several awesome years working there, on and off. On one of the off times at Salon Central I moved to New York City. I had always wanted to live there since I was a kid.  I grew up visiting family in the city and and just outside the city and I could never get enough of it, So I saved some cash, did my research, packed my shit, and ran.

About 9 months after I moved to New York I met my boyfriend Derek.  Unfortunately, he did not live there.   Derek lived outside the city of brotherly love, Philly. So, a long distance relationship ensued. We took turns taking the bus between the two cities.  A couple months later I decided I was done with NY and moved back down to Maryland and went back to work at Salon Central. The salon and my clients welcomed me back with open arms. Gail, my lifelong boss/ 3rd mother is probably one of my favorite people.  In total that woman let me work for her 3 times.  Unfortunately for everyone involved, I pulled a Katie again when Derek and I decided to move in together... in Philly.

A year and a half later here I am, living in Philly with Derek and our two beasts, Barrister the husky/Shepard mix and Peanut the terrier/sewer rat mix. I have found another amazing salon in the city, Hush Salon Philadelphia and have been there for over a year.  I have been doing hair professionally for over 10 years. At some point in the last year, I decided I needed some other trade or talent. I recently decided to learn more about my obsession for healthy eating/living and decided to enroll in a nutrition and wellness couch program. In a few months I will be able to council or coach individuals that are interested in living a healthier lifestyle.

This blog was the idea of one of my clients.  I agreed with her when she said that I should write about my "journey" (we both thought the use of the word journey was a little common, but it is what it is) and share my experience.  Working full time and taking care of a household is enough for anyone, but add on learning a new trade and you are bound to lose a few hairs over it, maybe even a few pounds!

Here's my crazy little family...

Peanut aka The P aka Little P aka Pnizzle
Barrister (doesn't really have any nicknames )

The Branskers



3 comments:

  1. Love it! I shall follow your journey blog. Love youuuuuu!

    -Jennifer Bailey of Matheus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post!! I too shall be following your journey!!!!

    ReplyDelete