Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Grocery List/New Product list




How beautiful is this picture? This is (almost) everything that I bought at Trader Joe's yesterday.  I spent less than $90 and this food will last me well into next week, even with two people eating it. Here's the thing... if you only allow yourself to shop at places like Trader Joe's  or Whole Foods, then it is virtually impossible to be tempted to buy shitty food! And once you see how pretty it can all look once it's laid out on the table it just makes you want to eat it.  At least that's how it works for me.  I feel proud of myself when I look down into the cart and all I can see is veggies.

Here are a couple recipes of things I like to make on a regular basis that are so delicious, you won't believe they are low fat, high fiber, and low calorie:

Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Red Onion and Wine:

I know the new trend is to cook sprouts in bacon fat, but come on...

1 1/2 cups of quartered FRESH sprouts
1/2 large red onion diced
2tbsp Olive oil
1/4 cup Red wine
1tsp Kosher Salt
Pepper to taste

Heat up you pan and add the oil.  Let the oil get nice and hot then drop in the onion.  After they get a little see through add in the sprouts.  Stir for a couple minutes, add salt and pepper and wine, cover for 10 minutes. Remove lid and stir.  At this point the sprouts should be nice and tender.   You are going to let the wine cook down a bit so it almost evaporates. About 10 more minutes. Remove from heat and serve.

(Use more or less of anything in this recipe, except the olive oil)
Believe me, its way more flavorful than the bacon kind.  And obviously healthier for you.  Simple changes like that is all it takes.  If you substitute flavorful things for fattening things, your taste buds won't know the difference.

Last nights dinner...

4 Organic Chicken Sausage sliced on a diagonal
Half a bunch of asparagus
1 medium zucchini sliced in rounds and then halved
1/2 yellow onion diced
2tbsp Olive Oil/ Olive oil PAM
Salt and Pepper to taste

Saute the onions with the oil until clear. Add in the sausage (its precooked so you can just let it soak up the onion flavor for a minute. Add in the asparagus and let simmer for a couple minutes, then add the zucchini. Add salt and pepper and cover for 5-10 minutes to steam the veggies. Open stir and serve. Veggies should be nice and tender.

Super easy and really fast. Sometimes I add wine and a couple laughing cow cheese wedges to give it a bit of a sauce.



OK so now in to the hairdresser side of me...


Yesterday I finally made it to the beauty supply store.  Everyone keeps asking me if I have ever tried
 "Its a 10".  The answer is no.  So I was at the counter and there it was.  I am always a skeptic when it comes to trying new products, but since so many of my clients have asked me about it I bought it and I used it last night. Smells delicious and my hair feels really smooth.  I did not blow dry my hair with it, but I will tomorrow and see what I think. I will tell you, if I don't blow my hair out, it is very wavy.  My hair dried almost straight with this stuff in.  Whether I am OK with that is yet to be determined.

If you have any questions about hair products, color, or cuts lease let me know.  Same goes for food recipes and grocery list ideas.

GO VOTE!!!





2 comments:

  1. I love brussel sprouts and so does my fam, so I can't wait to make the first recipe!!! I will try the 2nd for the other peeps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything in the Brussels Sprouts one should be kind of caramelized. Makes it much tastier!

    ReplyDelete