Monday, November 5, 2012

It's Not a Diet, It's a Way of Life

I'm sure everyone has tried a fad diet at least once in their lives.  And then as soon as you stopped following you gained back every pound you lost and possibly a few more. The reason behind that is because fad diets are bullshit.

Atkins diet. It's crap.  Think about it, you are ingesting cheese, meat, dairy, nuts, all things protein and fat loaded and are told not to eat a lot of fruit or carbs. What the hell makes you think this is healthy? What happens after you start eating carbs again is your body absorbs as much of the sugar in the carbohydrate as it can and then it is stored as fat. Its just a really dumb diet. The South Beach diet is  very similar to this one, except wants you to make healthier choices. Again, its a low carb diet and once you stop you can gain the weight back.

So the solution to the issue is to make healthy eating a way of life. Find a happy balance in a way that allows you to eat things you like but in serious moderation. I did a little bit of research a few months ago on the Paleo diet and found it to be kind of great. I started to loosely follow the diet and actually lost weight very easily.  I did not feel like I was being deprived of anything and I was not even close to being hungry. I didn't need to lose a lot of weight, but I did lose about 10lbs in less than two months simply by changing my eating habits.

I also purchased a book at the end of last winter called The 17 Day Diet.
This book is pretty good.  My problem is that it wants you to stop drinking alcohol and stop eating chocolate.  Not an option.  No, I am not an alcoholic, I don't think, but I want to have my wine on a Saturday night and I eat dark chocolate every day. Yes, every day. Honestly, other than that it is a great concept.  It teaches you how to welcome carbohydrates back into your life in a healthy way.  While the diet starts out virtually carbohydrate free (only eating two pieces of fruit before 2pm, and no bread or anything of that nature), after 17 days, it allows you to slowly start eating them again in moderation.

SO, what I have learned from both the Paleo and The 17 Day Diet is this, Tons of veggies, a little bit of fruit, lean meats, LOW carbs, and no artificially processed food. Except for yesterday, because I was seriously craving a grilled cheese sandwich, I never buy bread. Does that mean that I won't eat it at a restaurant if its in a pretty basket in front of me? No. But I will have one piece and without butter. Speaking of butter, I have dramatically reduced my dairy intake.  I went from eating yogurt every day to no yogurt at all.  I eat a bit of goat cheese crumble on a salad here and there, maybe some cream in  my coffee, and of course my dark chocolate (how much milk is in there I do not know). OH! And a once yearly grilled cheese sandwich ;)

That is what works for me.  It is not a fad, it is just the way it is.  I accept that in order to maintain my weight, or perhaps lose a few more pounds, and to have a healthy life, I CANNOT go back to the way I used to eat.  I'm totally fine with that.  I actually enjoy it.  Once your body gets used to eating a certain way it starts to crave the healthy options. I think that is what makes it easier.  Its also very helpful if you are slightly OCD like I am.

Actually reading about all of this in my text book makes all the choices I made even more relevant.  I love that I can apply my current knowledge with what  am learning to help and advise other people who want the same thing out of life that I do... Happiness.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. If you don't like what I have said then keep it to yourself.

Until next time...





No comments:

Post a Comment