Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Hovering Client Companion

I think this picture is from that show Jersey Licious, but it looks like someone is butting in where they shouldn't right??



Ok... So this is my gripe for the day. Actually it's my gripe for always.  THE most annoying thing to deal with at work is when a mother, or a husband, or a friend, or boyfriend, or girlfriend, whatever the case may be HOVERS.  Do not do that.  I had a client recently that was new to the salon.  Its always a little nerve racking for everyone involved when a new client comes in.  Not only do you, as the stylist, not know what is about to walk in, but the client doesn't quit feel comfortable yet either. So this woman comes in with her friend who had been to the salon once before.  I introduced myself and shook her hand. She introduced herself and referred to her friend as her "stylist".  Right then I knew I was gonna get annoyed...

I get the client back to my chair and begin the consultation.  As I start in so does the friend.  I totally understand that they had probably been speaking about what she should do with her hair color before she came in, but please just let me ask the questions first. Alright, so the friend wants her to have darker hair because without it she "looks too pale".  I countered with, if her hair is darker she will look even paler. I resorted to showing her some pictures in a magazine to give her a couple ideas of the highlights I thought she should have.  The friend questioned every picture I showed her. "But this is not dark hair". That's correct, I was showing her some other options that I, the professional, thought would be better. Long story short, she got gorgeous honey colored highlights that both complimented her skin tone and brightened up her face.  

So... don't bring your friend into the salon and introduce her as your "stylist" to your actual stylist.  Friends that hover over the stylist are only pissing them off, not helping.  Your stylist knows what is best for you even if your friend knows you better. It really stresses us out to have someone standing over our shoulder watching our every move and questioning what we are doing.  That usually only happens in beauty school when you are being tested and when we have to apply for a job in a new salon. The worst is the hovering mother of a small child. One of the reasons I do not enjoy doing children's haircuts anymore.

 Could you imagine if I had listened to the friend? I would be doing a corrective color right now hands down.

YOUR STYLIST IS ALWAYS RIGHT! HA!

I wonder if this was an accident...



Here's your recipe for the day:

Roasted Butternut Squash (we can all thank my current boss Adrienne for this gem)

One large butter nut squash peeled and cubed
One Medium yellow onion diced
2tbsp Olive oil/oilive oil PAM
Kosher salt to taste
Pepper to taste

Preheat your oven to 350. Place squash and onion on a large cookie sheet.  Drizzle with olive oil or spray with the PAM.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Bake in oven for 1 hour. Stir it around about half way through.  

Serve immediately.  Its so so SO good.  I am hooked.  The second winter squash is palatable, I buy two a week. Obsessed. Its sweet and salty and the onion gets all caramelized  YUM! 



No comments:

Post a Comment